The Humble “Shift” key

Random fact of the night: you have a “Shift” key on my keyboard. It’s called that because typewriters used to physically shift the striker mechanism so the upper case letter would hit the paper.
But the “upper case” letter was below the “lower case” letter. So why was it called that? Because of an even older piece of technology: movable type printing presses. The two different type faces were stored in a box called a type case. Capital letters in the upper drawer, non-capital in the lower drawer. Annnnd…. now you know!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *